Top 10 Admission Questions to Ask when Applying for College or University
Congratulations! You’re about to move onto an incredible and important step in life – and one that can lead you towards achieving plenty of happiness and success. Since applying for college or university is such a paramount moment, and with so many institutions accepting hundreds or thousands of admissions each year, it can be hard to narrow in on the ones that are best suited for you. So as a prospective student, it’s crucial to ask these top 10 admission questions to make the process of finding the perfect college or university much easier. These 10 questions are split into 3 categories, which pertain to admission requirements, finances, and academics.
In Canada, you are required to have a Secondary School Diploma or equivalent in order to attend a college or university. While the college and university application process is quite streamlined across the board, many schools also have their own set of admission requirements that must be met before they’ll even consider your application. For example, some require an additional essay to be written with your application, portfolio submissions, or even S.A.T. testing if you’re applying to a school in the United States. Determining whether there are additional admission requirements outside of the standard for each particular school allows you to properly organize and prepare yourself before clicking the application submit button. Doing so will also give you plenty of time to produce the highest quality of application. Ask an admission rep some of the following questions about admission requirements:
- What is the deadline for admissions?
- Are there any admission requirements outside of the standard?
- If so, what additional materials or actions are needed to complete the application?
- What criteria are you looking for from prospective students or what criteria do you look for in applications?
Attending college or university can be expensive, but it doesn’t have to leave you with a degree or diploma that is complimented with an abundance of debt. With the plethora of scholarships and grants available, you can significantly decrease the amount of money you have to pay out-of-pocket. While asking about scholarships seems like a no-brainer, there are many scholarships and financial aid programs available that aren’t as highly advertised as others – yet they’re just as valuable. Be sure to ask these additional admission questions to ensure you know what the total cost of enrollment is, while also finding all viable financial opportunities available to you. Here are a few questions that can keep you on the right track:
- What is the yearly tuition and average of additional expenses I should be aware of, such as books, parking, cafeteria passes, etc.?
- What are some less common scholarship opportunities you wish more students would take advantage of?
- Does your application system automatically consider me for financial aid programs and scholarships, or is this an entirely separate application?
Academics are an important category of admission questions to ask because, after all, you’re going to college or university for the educational opportunities. Unfortunately, not all schools are created equally, and this is particularly true if you are seeking acceptance at a college or university outside of Canada. Take the time to come up with as many questions as you can that pertain to the academics of the school. The answers you receive could change your opinion on a school, and can even change the direction of your college career. To get you started, here are some important admission questions to ask that will help you determine the value and experience of the academics provided at each specific school:
- How accessible are academic advisors, and what are the professors’ standard, posted office hours?
- What is the average Freshman class size?
- Are there any special facilities that are important for your particular field of study, such as a theatre, art gallery, planetarium, aquarium, etc.?
- Is there an honours program and if so, how does it work?
Although these are 10 of the most important admission questions to ask when applying for college or university, it’s just as imperative to remember that any question or concern you have should be addressed. Don’t hesitate to ask as many questions as you can, because the more information you can have, the better choice you can make for your future.